Thursday, March 21, 2013

Breastfeeding {7 month update}

I still can't believe it but I have been breastfeeding for 7 months now! Wow time does go by very quickly!


This little one has done such a wonderful job nursing and I couldn't be happier that we have stuck with it!

To be honest, in the beginning of this journey {yes it is a journey} I didn't know if I was fully up for the challenge. I stocked up on formula just in case breastfeeding wasn't for me. {obviously I didn't give myself enough credit}

Right after Little Miss was born we did have some struggles with latching on and I was in a lot of pain. I do remember at one point calling my mom and telling her that it felt like Little Miss was hiding razor blades in her mouth. It was a continuous fight to not just throw in the towel. I spoke to 2 close friends who helped me teach Little Miss to correct her latch. {Only a wide open mouth gets rewarded!! Best advice ever!!} Also, I was told that by by 2 months it wouldn't hurt any more.

So getting to 2 months was my goal. If it still hurt then I was d-o-n-e!

I continued to cry at each feeding but then miraculously it stopped hurting ... exactly at 2 months.

Whew!! I don't know how we would have been able to afford to buy formula on our tight income!

While my milk supply was stabilizing I would pump once a day in the morning just to make sure I was fully empty. But I stopped pumping almost altogether in the beginning of February.

I am still a fan of the on demand feeding schedule and that seems to work for us!

Now breastfeeding in public is a totally different story. I have only attempted to breastfeed in public 1 time {unless you count nursing in the car} because Little Miss was completely inconsolable. It was at Little Man's indoor soccer game. I went to the front desk at asked the woman if there was a private place I could feed my baby. {I would have gone to the car if it wasn't so cold outside} She said that there was a lounge area on the second floor.

I rushed up the stairs to the second floor with my screaming baby. I walked the halls back and forth and never saw a private lounge area. But then I noticed a bunch of comfy type chairs in the hallway. {It felt like a light bulb when off} Duh ... this is the lounge. Right out in the open for the whole club to see! Hmm what to do.

I still had a screaming baby so I did what any logical mother would do.

I sat down in one of the comfy chairs and feed my baby. She quieted down and fell asleep.

Needless to say that in a sports complex only dudes are walking around. I did get a lot of stares but no one said anything. {I am seriously terrified of making a scene or getting yelled at when it comes to breastfeeding in public ... oh the anxiety}

All in all, breastfeeding is wonderful!! I love my bonding time with Little Miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!