Friday, December 21, 2012

Words

Sticks and Stones
may break my bones
But names will
never hurt me!
 
 
It is amazing how words can encourage us or break us down.
I truly don't feel that most people say things to hurt others but sometimes what they say can really sting.

Yesterday Little Miss and I went to the grocery store before the "snowstorm" hit.(The snowstorm ended up being just a little sprinkling of snow.)
I made a list of some recipes I would like to make for dinner so the Little Miss and I wouldn't have to go out again in the cold weather.

I typically get a lot of ooh's and aah's when I take her out with me. She loves looking at and talking to people. She laughs the whole time and doesn't stop smiling.

How could people not just love this face?



Older men typically like to talk to her and get her to smile while at the grocery store.

We had all of our ingredients in the cart and were waiting patiently in line.

The gentleman in front of us decided he wanted to take a peek at the baby in the carrier.

First he wanted to guess whether she was a boy or a girl.

He said "Oh what a cute little boy"

Needless to say she was dressed in purple and wearing a big bow in her hair.

Then he asked me if this was my first child.

I told him that in fact this was my second child and that I have an almost 10 year old son.

He just stared at me. He was probably trying to do the math and figure out how old I was now and how old I probably was when he was born.

He continued staring and then said ...
"Probably two different dads! Am I right?"

It felt like the air was sucked right out of my lungs.

Why would someone say that?

Instead of saying something back I just smiled.

Yes I have 2 children by 2 different fathers but what difference does that make.

I loved Little Man's dad and I love my husband and Little Miss's father.
I feel lucky to have had 2 great loves of my life.

And while neither one of my children were "planned" I prayed for them and loved them before I ever knew them.

I am sure the gentleman didn't mean to say something rude to me but his words really stung.

I chose just to smile and say nothing at all.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!