Monday, June 25, 2012

Menu Plan Monday {Week 1}

To be honest ...
I am not a great cook!
I can never think of anything to make for dinner!
When I go to the grocery store I buy ingredients but for nothing specific!

This is about to change ...

Now that money is tight I cannot just walk through a store and purchase random items. I need to be intentional. So for the last three weeks I have been making a plan for meals with input from my husband and little man.

So this is what our Menu for this week looks like ...

Breakfast

Little Man eats eggs for breakfast almost everyday. He does change it up depending on how he wants them cooked {scrambled, hard boiled, or fried}.
Now that my step-son is here for a month he can either have eggs or cereal.

Lunch

The boys like to have a quick lunch so that they can keep playing outside. For lunches this week they can choose between ...
* pb&j sandwiches
*salami sandwiches
*hot dogs
*fruit
*cheese crackers

Dinner

My husband works on cars all day long in a hot body shop. When he comes home he doesn't really want a hot meal. He loves pasta so we do eat a lot of pasta most weeks. Also, to save money I really try to not have meat with every meal. This week 2 meals contain no meat.

*Noodle Salad {you can get the recipe here}
*Ground beef tacos 
*Spaghetti with Vodka Sauce {I buy the jarred sauce and my whole family loves it}
http://www.shespeaks.com/pages/img/review/bertolli_05242010225242.jpg
via


*Chicken Bam {You can find the recipe here.} 

*Pepper Steak over egg noodles
*Crockpot Italian Sausage {This is another one of my husband's recipes. Hopefully I can get this recipe up also this week. It is so easy and so delicious!)
*Orange Chicken over Rice {Trader Joe's has a wonderful frozen Orange Mandarin Chicken already made and found in the frozen section. For an entire bag it is $4.99 and it feeds my whole family. Just a little rice and the meal is done!}
http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/assets_c/2010/12/trader_joes_mandarin_orange_chicken-thumb-250x167.jpg
via
I have already done the grocery shopping this morning and spent less than $100. The peppers for the crockpot italian sausage, noodle salad, pepper steak, and chicken bam was the most expensive item I bought. They were $1.49 each! That is almost 9 dollars for peppers! I did also purchase fresh fruit for the week as well. 

I am pretty proud of myself right now! 

What does your menu this week look like?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good.

    I'm finally making a menu plan and hoping to stick with it!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!