Sunday, January 9, 2011

Becoming a Mom … before you are married. (Part 2)

As the months went by my pregnancy remained a secret from many people.

I still hadn’t told my mother for the fear of what she was going to say and do. But I knew that I would have to tell her soon.

Ryan was struggling with not telling people. He had let the information slip to his oldest brother Chris who seemed unhappy with the situation. Although Chris never told me that he was upset.

In an effort to keep the pregnancy a secret Ryan became withdrawn from his mother and father. His mother noticed and one night she made him sit down and tell her what was going on.

As his lips opened all of his fears spilled out and his mother finally knew the secret he and I were keeping. Needless to say she was less than pleased.

Now that Ryan’s mother knew I knew I had to tell my mother next.

One afternoon as I was attending a baby shower for my soon-to-be Aunt, who was expecting twin girls, my Aunt Carrie came up to me and asked me when I was due. I am sure the look on my face was priceless when I looked back at her and asked her what she was talking about.

By the time I left the baby shower everyone was talking about me. I heard the whispers and the hushed tones as I went from table to table talking to family members I rarely get to see.

I wanted to tell everyone but I knew how they would react. It wouldn’t be reactions of joy but more of sadness. So I continued to keep my pregnancy to myself.

Later that night as I was getting ready for bed my cell phone rang. Caller id said that it was my grandmother. I answered the phone and immediately after I said hello she began her rant.

She told me that she knew I was expecting and that I obviously hadn’t told my mother yet. She said that I had 24 hours to tell her otherwise she was going to tell her for me.

With that she hung up.

I was speechless. I thought about her offer to tell my mom for me but I knew that wouldn’t be right.

As I laid the phone back down on my nightstand my mom walked into my room.

It was now or never.

I looked at her and asked her if she wanted to hang out in my room.  She said yes and we watched some silly program on tv.

One show rolled into another and I knew if I didn’t tell her now I never would.

I looked over at her knowing that what I was about to tell her would change her life.

My throat went dry and I stumbled to talk … “Mom? Can I tell you something? Just promise me that you won’t get mad! Do you promise?”

{To be continued}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!