Thursday, October 7, 2010

Praising the Lord and Loving My Family

It has been an amazing few months!

As you already know, we moved into a townhouse so that Jacob could continue going to school in the same district.  The move went amazingly well. Almost every box has been unpacked except for a large box containing Jacob’s winter clothes. I will have to tackle it soon because the Fall weather is fast approaching. It definitely is beginning to feel like home. I think that all of us are happier here.

Jacob discovered that another 2nd grader from his school lives across the street and loves having someone to play with.

Jacob also is loving being able to ride his bike in the cul-de-sac, kick a soccer ball in the front yard, and run around without me having to run around with him.

Mornings have been much better this year. I am trying to get better at packing his lunch (and my lunch) the night before. Also, I have been pre-warning letting him know what I expect from him in the mornings. He no longer is fighting me when it comes to taking a shower, brushing his teeth, or putting his shoes on. Thank Goodness!

Another blessing is that Jacob is doing really well in second grade. So far there has been no need for a separate behavior plan and his reading has improved. He is taking part in a Poetry Group which will improve his reading fluency.  

I have been enjoying my second year back in college. Although the work has been tougher and my schedule crazier. I am still loving it.

I am doing my practicum at an elementary school in Downers Grove in a 2nd grade classroom.  I instantly fell in love with the students in my class and my cooperating teacher is wonderful. She has thrown me right into the classroom and helping the students. I even get to bring papers home to grade. (Remind me that I was happy about this when I have my own classroom and am complaining about bringing papers home to grade.)

I was actually in the classroom today when the school went into a “soft lockdown”. It turned out that there was a domestic violence situation at the end of the block and the people were unwilling to come out of the house. As a precaution, I was lead out of the building and directed to drive through the grass and over a baseball field to reach the street. I was shaking like a leaf for the rest of the day.

Also, I discovered that one of the students in my class, lets call him “R”, stayed home from school today because his father is being sent to Afghanistan. Please pray for “R’s” father’s safety and for his family while he is away. I am sure that “R” will struggle in the classroom for a little while. Please pray for me to have the right words to say to him.

I guess that is it for now. Look forward to pictures coming soon because Jacob has a 3 v 3 soccer tournament Friday night under the lights. Also, tomorrow we have soccer practice and Open House. I look forward to Jacob leading me through his classroom and showing me all the things he has done so far this year.

By the way, I am loving my family right now. Can’t get enough!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!