Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Maysie's Birth Story {Part 2}

You can read part 1 of Maysie's birth here.

So I have now had 2 contractions in my grandma's driveway while sobbing like a baby. My Mom knew she was welcome in the delivery room so she called into work. I told her that we would call her once we got checked into the room.

Dan and I headed toward the hospital. Driving in the car the contractions were getting worse and sitting down was not helping. I couldn't wait to get out of the car.

On the way to the hospital I was so thirsty so I made Dan stop at McDonald's to get me a sweet tea. Due to the fact it was early morning rush hour the drive thru line was insanely busy!! I had four contractions while waiting to order.

When we got to the hospital Dan almost passed the entrance to the mother & baby building. At this point I was in so much pain I almost got out of the car and walked.

When we got into the hospital the valet parking attendant asked me if I wanted a wheelchair. I told him that I didn't and that I would be fine walking. {I knew that once I got checked in they would make lay down and my labor would stop progressing!!}

We waited for the elevator door to open and stepped inside. Before the door closed a man with an infant car seat came into the elevator with us. The labor & delivery unit was on floor 3 and the mother & baby unit was on floor 4. As soon as the elevator reached floor 3 {my floor} another contraction was coming full force. I felt bad for the man in the elevator waiting to get to his new baby so I tried to get off the elevator. {I am not sure why I was so concerned with the man in the elevator}

While Dan was checking me into the labor & delivery unit another contraction was hitting. The floor manager noticed that I was crying and the pain was really strong so she lead me to the room while Dan finished the paperwork. I got into the bed at 10 am.

I got into the gown and the nursed checked me. I was at 4 1/2 centimeters. I was so disappointed and felt that I should have been farther along. I denied an epidural for the moment but said that I may want one later on.

The contractions were getting worse and worse so I asked if I could have something to take the edge off the pain. I was going to be given something that would make me a little dizzy so I was instructed to use the bathroom because I wouldn't be able to get out of bed for at least an hour.

The nurse said she had to check me again to make sure I wasn't at a 7 because if I was the medicine wouldn't work. Of course when she checked me I was a 7 1/2. {Needless to say I was shocked. I didn't think I would dilate that quickly and now I couldn't get the medicine ... aagh!}

Another nurse walked in and asked me if I was feeling any pressure. I said I felt something but I am not sure pressure was the right word. She checked me and told me to push a little bit to see what happened. When I did that my water broke.

After my water broke everything went really fast. There was a guy at the end of my bed setting up for delivery.

Delivery?? Already??

I asked for an epidural and a nurse went running to find the anesthesiologist. She came back in and told me that there was 2 other women ahead of me.

I was checked again and I was fully dilated. The baby was low and I was told that a few pushes would get her out.

Pushing felt good but I was terrified. It took 3 1/2 hours to deliver Little Man so I figured that it would take that long at least to deliver Little Miss.
I pushed once and her head was crowning.

{At this time my Mom told me that the baby had a full head of hair. I shouted that I knew she was going to be hairy! I guess the nurses and doctors thought that it was really funny!}

I pushed twice and her head was out.

{Now I am telling the doctor to just get her out!}

I pushed the third time and she was born.

Maysie Grace was born at 11:43 am just an hour and 43 minutes after I checked into the hospital.

She was born weighing 5 lbs 13.5 oz and 19 inches long.

She was placed directly on my chest {skin to skin} and it was wonderful!!

She was perfect as can be!

I still cannot believe that I gave birth to her naturally with no drugs. {To be honest, if we have another baby I would not have an epidural. I felt so amazing after she was born and healed much more quickly than I did after I had Little Man}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!