Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Breastfeeding {My Story}


When I was pregnant with Little Man I had no desire to breastfeed. When the nurses in Labor & Delivery asked if I was going to breast or bottle feed him I was very adamant that I wanted to bottle feed. Needless to say ... Little Man had other plans.

After his very rough delivery {for the both of us}he had no interest in eating. To be honest, he could barely stay awake long enough to eat. When he did decide to finally eat he refused the formula the hospital had. The nurses came to me and said that he wouldn't take the formula and asked if I would reconsider breastfeeding.

I wanted my baby to eat but I really didn't want to nurse him. I told the nurses that I would pump and we could feed him with the bottle. The lactation consultants promptly came in with a pump.

Breastfeeding felt weird but it was good to know that my baby would finally eat when he was awake enough to do so. I continued to pump for about 3 months and supplemented with formula until he was strictly formula feed.

The formula really upset Little Man's stomach. He spit up like the exorcist and screamed from acid reflux. I thought formula was supposed to be easier but it only made things more difficult for us.

When I found out I was pregnant with Little Miss I wanted to give breastfeeding a shot again. I am so happy I did. Little Miss and I have been happily nursing for the past 7 weeks! I am loving the bonding time we get one on one and it is wonderful to see how "plump" she is getting.

She did have a bottle of formula after she was born only because I felt like I was not providing enough milk for her. {She did proceed to spit it all back up quickly after eating}.

Breastfeeding is not always easy but I am so happy that I decided to give it a try again!

Come back tomorrow for my list of what is needed to make breastfeeding easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!