Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The {Perfect} Plan

It all began at the end of a wonderful weekend ... the perfect plan.
On most Sunday nights when Dan has to take Christian back to his mom's house, Jacob is sad. 
Really sad. 
For Christmas Jacob got a DQ Blizzard Maker and I thought making blizzards would be the perfect way to cheer him up. 
As Dan and Christian walked out the door, Jacob and I walked out the door as well. We read the directions on the blizzard maker and realized we only needed half and half. The other ingredients we needed was salt (check), water (check), ice (check), and the vanilla ice cream packets (check). 
So we quickly said our goodbyes and off we went to the grocery store in search of half and half. 
I know it isn't hard to find but the challenge was leaving the store with just half and half. 
To my surprise the half and half was on sale for 50% off.
Yay! This trip is already going better than expected. 
We went to the check out and paid $1.01 for 16 oz. of half and half.
No extras!

We got home and took out the ingredients that we needed. 
We also put the blizzard maker together. 
We also took out the directions sheet and set it next to the blizzard maker.

Step 1: Cover the silver bowl with a cup so no ingredients get inside.
Done

Step 2: Fill the blue bowl with crushed ice.
We go to the freezer to get the ice and low and behold
...
No ice just empty ice cube trays!
Ugh!
I told Jacob that we couldn't make blizzard because we didn't have ice.

He was devastated.
His eyes watered and tears flowed down his cheeks. 
It had little to do with not making blizzards and more to do with the fact his "brother" wasn't at our house.

I felt horrible. 
I just wanted to cheer him up and make his Sunday night a little more easy.
That was my {perfect} plan.
I failed.
I thought I was prepared but I wasn't.

Jacob and I ended up just cuddling on the couch.
We made blizzards the next evening instead.

But this made me think how in life we feel like we have planned everything out just {perfectly}but things end up not going the way we planned. 
And when life happens and plans unravel ... I need to remember to be thankful.
While things that happen are not my plan, they are in God's plan.
I know His plans are far better than mine will ever be.
For my {perfect} plan going awry ... I am thankful!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Please share! I love hearing from you!!